Wonders of Nature Series
Online Certificate Course in Herpetology
Take a peek into the world of beautiful snakes, frogs, crocodiles, and, host of other reptiles and amphibians. Herpetology is the study of reptiles and amphibians. Although cold blooded, herps are a fascinating animals, displaying various characters like strength, aggression, love and more intelligence that most people think. With more than 600 species of reptiles and 400 species of amphibians, India is a country with rich herpetofauna.
This course is an introduction to most common and some uncommon reptiles and amphibians found in our region. It will cover following topics:
- Evolution of reptiles and amphibians
- Taxonomy and identification
- Diversity and biology
- Natural History
- Acoustical communication
- Venomous and non-venomous snakes
- Snake bites and first-aid
The course is comprised of 15 talks on above topics by eminent scientists, and, researchers.
- Course begins on 5th October 2020 and ends on 17th October 2020.
- Talks will be held every day in the evening between 6:00pm-7:00pm. Additional lectures will be conducted on the 10th and 11th October 2020.
- Course will be conducted online on Zoom platform, links for which will be shared every day before the talk.
- Medium of instruction will be English.
- Dr. Anand Padhye: Head of Department (Zoology), at Abasaheb Garware College, Pune, he has been studying amphibian taxonomy and natural history for past 35 years. He has published multiple research papers including describing new species of amphibians.
- Narendra Naidu: Heod of Department (Zoology), at Modern College, Pune, he has done focussed studies on wood boring beetle and grasshoppers with multiple research publications.
- Makarand Ketkar: A core wildlifer with passion for snakes, Makarand has conducted multiple talks for students on snakes and written many articles in magazines and newspapers.
- Rajgopal Patil: An IT professional, Rajgopal has been observing wildlife for more than 30 years. He is keenly interested in bioacoustics and has published research papers on birds and amphibians.
- Gaurang Gowande: Assistant Professor at the Department of Biotechnology, Fergusson College Pune. Gaurang does research on Reptiles and Arthropods and has described new species of lizards and snakes.
- Nikhil Dandekar: A behavioural ecologists and field biologist working in the field of conservation for past 15 years. Nikhil Has extensively worked on amphibians, large carnivore, birds and Human-Wildlife Conflict and published many research papers.
- Shauri Sulakhe: He is also a Naturalist and Field Researcher interested in wildlife photography and natural history. He is currently working on Indian scorpions and has multiple publications.
- Dr. Nikhil Modak: An amphibian taxonomist, Nikhil has extensively worked in Western Ghats and is a excellent statistitian
- Dr. Disha Sharma: As a field veterinarian, Dr. Disha has extensively worked on rescue treatment and rehab of Gharials, large mammals and birds. She is one of the very few women field veterinarians working in the rescues of Large carnivores in India.
- Sneha Dharwadkar: Co-founder of Freshwater Turtle and Tortoises of India (FTTI), Sneha is a herpetologists working ecology and conservation of lesser known and lesser studied turtle fauna of India
Rs 2000 only
Details for Bank Transfers:
A/C Name: Institute of Natural History Education and Research Branch: HDFC Bank, Mayur Colony, Pune Account Number: 50100177877227 IFSC Code: HDFC0000149 Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org Address: B1-602, Kumar Parisar, Kothrud, Pune, Maharashtra 411038
- Once you make the payment please fill the registration form online at: Click here
- Registration confirmed upon successful payment.
- Only limited numbers to ensure quality. Kindly register early.
9923000245 (Nikhil) Email: email@example.com